Monday, October 4, 2010

And It's A Grand Slam!

After finishing the St. George Marathon this past Saturday Joe completed what seemed to me like an impossible goal, he completed the Utah Grand Slam. This is when you run 4 out of 5 Utah marathons in one year.  The marathons that he chose to run were the Ogden Marathon in May, Utah Valley Marathon in June, Park City Marathon in August, and of coarse, the St. George Marathon in October. It was a proud moment when he was finally awarded his Grand Slam medal.
The St. George Marathon has been a tradition in my sister Terri Ballstaedt's family for the past 32 years.  We have joined them for the past 3 years and have enjoyed spending time with their family.  It is quite an event!  Every member of their family comes to support each other.  It is fun each year to see who in their family is going to participate in the marathon.  It can range anywhere from those who have been training die hard all year to those who decide to run or even walk it a couple of weeks before the marathon.  We were very impressed with Terri's son Smith who decided to do the marathon a few weeks ago.  Just a couple of years ago he was in a very bad motorcycle accident and nearly lost his leg.  He was a little sore after the run however, he seemed to be doing quite well.  Rock, my brother-in-law turned 61 this year and this was his 32nd St. George Marathon.  Amazing!

Because I have been so inspired by Joe and the Ballstaedts I signed up for the Runner's Series this morning.  That means that if I run two St. George sponsored races in the next few months, I am guaranteed entrance into the St. George Marathon next October.  I have to admit, I am terrified right now but determined nonetheless. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the love and support, Melissa. I appreciate having you there. I know that it is not always fun to drive me to events early in the morning, and then later wait around at the finish line [not always knowing when I will eventually make it in], but you never complain and always offer "congratulations" and support for me.

    I think it is fantastic how the Ballsteadts all rally around and support each other for this event. I asked Rock how many more times he is going to run the St. George Marathon and he answered by saying that his running partner is in his 70's and has run every one with him. I guess I got my answer. Rock sets a high standard.

    A common response I get when I complete a marathon (and after I complained about the conditions or not feeling well or some other lame excuse) is, "why would you ever want to do anything like that?" I find that it is simpler to just say, "I don't know" than try to explain it.

    Don't be terrified about 2011's marathon. Use it as motivation to spend "time on your feet" and you'll do great.

    Snow Canyon... here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool Joe is awesome. good luck on the marathon next year, I'll be yelling from the sidelines!

    ReplyDelete